This post was originally published on 09/02/2019 and updated on 06/02/2020.
Today I’m focusing on giving you advice on managing dry skin during the menopause.
What causes dry skin
Skin gets dry during the menopause because nutrients and oestrogen levels are falling. As your oestrogen levels fall so does your collagen, which is responsible for holding everything in place. When collagen levels fall you may start to see wrinkles, saggy bits and dryness. Collagen levels actually start declining after the age of 30 so it’s no wonder things start to go south if you’re not ‘feeding’ your skin properly.
To find out my top four ways for combatting dry skin during menopause watch the video below.
Here are my top four tips for combatting dry skin.
- Use products without chemicals: I recommend you use products that don’t contain parabens and chemicals as they might irritate your skin and cause unnecessary dry skin - there are of plenty natural products to buy.
- Exfoliate your skin: Make sure that you do a skin scrub to get all the dead cells off your skin and then rehydrate yourself.
- Eat foods that contain fatty acids: Oily fish, nuts and seeds are all high in fatty acids. I recommend you eat three servings a week because research shows people who consume oily fish suffer less from dry skin.
- Eat foods that contain naturally occurring oestrogen: During the menopause, your brain thinks your ovaries are not working properly so the factories that used to make the cells that kept your skin moist and plump go out of production. Eating foods which contain naturally occurring oestrogen like soy and flax seeds will help to get those factories back into production.
- Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise with coconut oil! It’s one of nature’s best, it can be used all over the body including the face and also helps soothe inflammatory conditions, specifically eczema
Virtual class on menopause
If you would like to find out more about what is going on in your body as you go through the menopause, join me at my next FREE Virtual Class
Clothes feeling tight? Bloated? Loss of confidence? Not feeling sexy? Can't remember why you went into a room? Forgot what you are saying in mid-sentence? Lost your keys again?
Join Maryon Stewart for her FREE Virtual Class and learn how to trim your middle and alleviate brain fog all in one place.
Feel and look better than you have in years! Click on the button below to register now.