Today, I'm going to be focusing on what's the best thing to do first when you realise you're going through the menopause.
In my opinion, there's so much conflicting information available about HRT, hot flushes, night sweats, sleep difficulties, irregular periods, vaginal dryness, fatigue, and everything else related to menopause - and for us women going through it, it can all be a little overwhelming and confusing.
There are 5 tried and tested ways to help you manage your menopause better. And these are the things you need to do first!
- Diet - Good nutrition is important for all women around the time of the menopause. It’s particularly important that they have a healthy, balanced diet with regular meals, as irregular eating can make certain symptoms worse, such as feeling tired.
- Supplements - Supplements are really important to support your body nutritionally. I only recommend supplements that have been through clinical trials and have shown to be safe.
- Phytoestrogens - It's not a question of only taking multivitamins and minerals to get your nutrients back into an optimum range. You also need to take phytoestrogens which will influence the hormone-producing glands in your body and top off oestrogen naturally so you can fool the brain into thinking you've got normal circulating oestrogen again.
- Exercise - Because osteoporosis risk skyrockets the following menopause, cardio and strength training is vital. Strength training exercises will help to build bone and muscle strength, burn body fat, and rev up your metabolism.
- Relaxation - Self-relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and visual imagery can help to relieve menopausal symptoms for many women and in particular help improve anxiety and insomnia.